Wednesday, June 6, 2007

End of the Year Reflection

Reading and writing skills are some of the most important abilities a modern student and worker needs in the world today. Prior to my sophomore English class, I had very little skills. These skills were developed from the many class discussions, books we’ve read, and lessons on grammar and organization. I have learned a great deal of how literature and writing is connected to the world we live in. There are still many skills I need to learn to be successful in my future but these skills will gradually learned just like those I have learned this year.
Class discussions were great tools in understanding complex subjects, symbolism, and common writing techniques. They aided me in become a better writer and helping me understand the deeper meaning within literature. WE read many books during the school year. Each one had its own importance in developing specific writing skills. The short stories in the beginning of the ear were also very important. They helped me understand organizational skills, and taught me to take closer attention to finer details to better understand a story. Out of these stories I felt that “A Midsummer’s Night Dream” was my favorite. The story made many connections to real life such as Bottom’s comical word blunders and comedic personality. The story made me learn more about myself and what type of person I really am.
My future is very dependent on having good English skills. I am fully comfortable with writing five paragraph papers, but what organizational; skills will I need for writing much longer essays. I feel I still need to improve my vocabulary and grammatical skills. These are two important characteristics of great writing that I have not achieved. I am very optimistic about my future and writing. My English 10 experience has truly been a success and I am grateful to my teachers that have influenced me so much and have made me realize how important these skills are in the real world.

No comments: