Monday, June 4, 2007

Vinettes

Reflection on Vignette Assignment
The vignette assignment was easily my most enjoyable project of all year. I think that these short stories were what helped me advance in writing the most. Emotions are what help make a piece of writing so great. Having personal experiences and remembering my feeling of these experiences are what helped me make these stories interesting and exciting. They were the first stories I had ever written with so much emotion and detail, that I enjoyed writing. I selected this piece because of how much it did change me. I feel it was a very important assignment to me to help me gain a better understanding of good writing. My idea for the vignette stories came almost automatically. The idea of telling my experiences in scouting has always interested me, lending it to seem perfect to use those experiences in this assignment.
The project did take a long time because I wanted the stories to be so perfect. I did not have near the trouble in writing because of how interested I was in the subject. There were much fewer revisions done to the assignment compared to the summer reading. This really made me realize how far my writing had come. The only problems I encountered were trying to incorporate accurate passages from the story, The House on Mango Street, and coming up with my own analogies that would make the story more interesting.
I learned a great deal from this assignment. It really taught me how to incorporate my feelings into writing and accurately use analogies to add interest to a story. I do not think more time would have affected me on the assignment. Now, I feel like it would be interesting to expand those stories and add more detail, adding length to the tales. The reason for incorporating this assignment was to show the assessor the change this assignment caused in my writing. I feel it is probably the most important project in the portfolio and has influenced me the most.

No comments: